Frequently Asked Question
The majority of our materials are available online. Some hard copy material is distributed during the two day UMAT Course and there is an additional hard copy full length practice exam that you sit in the UMAT Course (you can take it home along with other handouts).
The Learning Management System (LMS) is far superior to printed 'booklets'. It enables your UMAT learning to be spontaneous, personalised, informal, contextual, portable, ubiquitous, pervasive, multi-locational and interactive.
There are a number of reasons why MedEntry chooses to provide material via an online based system:
1. Online learning enables MedEntry to provide students with online forums, Eureka! trainers, drills, calendar etc which would not be available if materials were distributed as hard copies. Students find these services very useful - for example, the online forums allow students to engage in discussions and learn actively.
2. There is well over ten thousand pages of material on the LMS. Printing and sending this out to all of our students would be very expensive and would mean we would have to raise the prices of the packages substantially - something we don't want to do. Electronic rather than paper delivery is also planet-friendly and saves millions of trees.
3. Online learning means that your exams are marked instantly by computer, feedback is provided immediately and your score is compared to all other MedEntry students to give you a percentile ranking. This is how the ACER assesses you: they compare you with other students and provide percentiles (the raw score or the number of questions you get right, is irrelevant). The percentile ranking gives you a good idea about how you are performing compared to other students. This is definitely NOT possible with hard copy (paper) format. This is a major advantage of the LMS.
4. There are numerous other benefits of an LMS as opposed to hard copy material. For example, after completing a test, you can view the proportion of students who chose different options for each question, and the proportion of students who chose the option that you did (presented in a bar graph), which will give you an indication of your strengths and weaknesses in various types of questions and the types of questions other students find difficult. You will also be able to see the time taken by other students to complete each section compared to you, amongst many such useful features. Such interactive, real time information is impossible with hard copy material.
Having data on % of students choosing each option is very useful: for example you not only need to know the right ways of reasoning but possible wrong ways of reasoning; if a high proportion of students choose an option which is incorrect, you need to think about what errors in reasoning they would have made to arrive at that option which is what ACER does (trying to read your mind).
5. From 2014, the structure of the UMAT has changed in the sense that each Construct (or Section) is not being timed separately. So, in the new structure currently in place, it is extremely important that you can identify your weakest Construct, so that you can work on it and spend more time on that Construct in the actual test. You cannot identify your weakest Construct from the proportion of questions you answered correctly in each Construct. It is only possible if your answers are compared with other UMAT cohort on the LMS.
6. MedEntry’s Learning Management System allows you to access your products immediately (as soon as payment is received). There is no need to wait for your materials to arrive by post.
7. MedEntry’s system allows you to access your products anytime, anywhere and any place in the world with an internet connection. Further, your UMAT Prep materials cannot be misplaced or lost as hard copy materials can.
8. If you have access to our "Personal UMAT Trainer" product, your extent of UMAT Preparation will be monitored and you will be provided with regular reports on how this compares with you peers. This feature would be impossible with hard copy resources.
9. The dynamic nature of the MedEntry's latest LMS technology tailored to the UMAT means that we are able to provide updates expeditiously and throughout the year. This means that we can make changes in our preparation material to reflect the latest changes in UMAT. This would not be possible if the materials were paper-based. It's no wonder that MedEntry was voted as the program which best simulates UMAT.
10. MedEntry's Online learning uses the most advanced 21st century technology. Most reputable universities are now moving to this medium since there are several advantages. A meta-analysis published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (10 September 2008) found internet-based learning was associated with large positive effect. "Internet based education permits learners to participate at a time and a place convenient to them, facilitates instructional methods that might be difficult in other formats, and has the potential to tailor instructions to individual learners' needs," the authors said.
Virtually all medical school courses at all universities are now ‘Online’, so there is no need to attend the classes every week and only a small minority do!