How will UCAT scores be used by universities?
As UCAT is new as of 2019, the manner in which UCAT scores will be used is yet to be confirmed.
Information regarding how universities will use UCAT scores will be made publicly available later in
However, it is very likely that:
- UCAT will continue to form one of three main criteria required to enter medicine or dentistry (with the other two criteria being ATAR/NCEA and interview performance)
- Students will need to generally score above the 80 th percentile in UCAT to be considered for entry into medicine and dentistry. That is, students will need to be in the top 20% of all candidates sitting UCAT.
- Universities will not publish the exact UCAT scores required to achieve entry into medicine or dentistry. This is because the demand for such courses varies from year to year, and therefore the UCAT cut off will too. This is particularly the case given 2019 will be the first sitting of UCAT in Australia and New Zealand
UCAT scores may be used in a variety of ways. For example:
- At some universities, UCAT will be a significant factor for determining entry into medicine and dentistry. At other universities, UCAT will be less important.
- It is likely that most universities will consider the total score for each of the cognitive subtests in UCAT (Verbal Reasoning, Decision Making, Quantitative Reasoning and Abstract Reasoning). The total score in UCAT will range from 1200-3600. Some universities may have a minimum threshold UCAT score that candidates need to achieve for entry
- Some universities may use individual UCAT subtest scores, and may have a minimum required score for a particular subtest(s)
- Some universities will use UCAT as the main ranking method to release interview offers, while others may use UCAT to distinguish between students who are otherwise fairly equally ranked in ATAR/NCEA
Regardless of the exact manner in which universities will use UCAT scores, UCAT will be an important factor in determining entry into medicine and dentistry. Therefore, quality UCAT preparation is important.