Below are a few useful tips as to how to stay in control during the UMAT.
- One of the things you'll probably have to deal with during the UMAT is distractions. This may be someone sniffling, or coughing, or tapping a pencil. In fact there have even been stories of distractions ranging from pile drivers at a nearby construction site to the school's symphonic band practicing outside!
- The most important thing is to not let these distractions get to you, use them as a reminder to get back to the UMAT in front of you.
Keep moving while the clock is ticking:
- Don't count on the supervisor being accurate or consistent about writing up the time remaining during the UMAT. You should monitor your time continually as you work through the UMAT exam.
- To avoid time warps and spacing out during the UMAT, keep your pencil moving every few seconds, marking up your UMAT test booklet. Don't ever let you pencil lift more than a few centimetres off the page - keep it poised to mark up questions.
- Try not to spend forever filling in the bubbles on the UMAT answer sheet. It's not uncommon to see a student in the exam room artistically darkening a bubble for 10-15 seconds. That is a total of 3 minutes wasted on the entire UMAT!
- Use absolutely every second available during the UMAT to work on the questions. Don't stop until the supervisor says stop!
For more useful tips on the UMAT, click here.
For more information on what to do the morning of the UMAT, click here.
For more information on how to deal with UMAT anxiety, click here.