Tips for the actual exam: MedEntry UMAT Course Tips
- Pace yourself as you go. If you find yourself losing focus in the last section think “finish strong” rather than “I’m almost out of here”. Don’t allow yourself to switch off until that final answer is filled in. Never give up until you hear “pencils down”!
- Don’t change your answers without good reason, only change them when you’ve reviewed the whole problem and discovered a mistake. For example, “this answer can’t be A, the last two were A” and “it can’t be this one, it’s too easy” are not good reasons to change your answer.
- Don’t waste too much time on any one question. If a question is taking too long, don’t be stubborn, let it go – take an educated guess and come back to it if you have time.
- Don’t go so fast that you give the right answer to the wrong question – always re-read the question to ensure you are giving the answer it is asking for. Underlining the key parts of a question helps you focus on what it is asking.
- Practice using answer sheets so that you are familiar with them and don’t put answers in the wrong places during the actual UMAT test.
- If you haven’t managed your time well and you find yourself running out of time with a few questions still to answer, attack the simplest questions and always make educated guesses.