Frequently Asked Questions
Products & Services
Online export support is included in Platinum and Diamond packages, and those students with Weekly Classes. Students with these packages can send us an email with the details, and request help with any specific question or resource on the MedEntry platform and an expert online tutor will respond. This allows students to obtain expert help with difficult UCAT questions and concepts, which is invaluable for learning.
You will be given access to your materials as soon as payment is confirmed. If you are paying by credit/debit card, you can expect to gain access immediately. If you are paying by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) or Bank Draft, you will normally gain access within five working days (depending on how quickly payment is received), to allow time for processing.
You can preview the types of questions you will be receiving by viewing our Sample Questions page.
Try our online platform absolutely free and get access to the following (no obligation for purchase) by clicking 'Try Free' in the top right of this page:
- A full-length Practice Exam which you can access for free. It is run on the same testing platform that all our practice drills and exams use.
- Solutions for the sample questions.
- Limited access to MedEntry's exclusive skills trainers.
- Limited access to MedEntry's interactive video guides.
- MedEntry's comprehensive Medical Entry handbook. 120+ pages of expertly crafted content to guide you through the whole medical entry process.
- MedEntry's 2-hour UCAT Bootcamp video, that guides you through UCAT, medical interviews and the admissions process.
MedEntry's online resources are delivered via the Online Learning Platform, which uses the latest learning technology tailored to the UCAT. The Online Platform is far superior to printed 'books'.
There are a number of reasons why MedEntry chooses to provide preparation materials via an online based system:
- UCAT is a computer-based test. It is essential that students practice using the UCAT platform and become comfortable with the various functions and keyboard shortcuts before the test. Doing so will improve confidence, reduce stress, and increase the speed with which you are able to answer UCAT questions. All of MedEntry's exams and practice questions are delivered via an online platform that exactly replicates the live UCAT.
- Online learning enables MedEntry to provide students with video guides, video solutions, dynamic feedback, forums and many other learning resources which would not be available if materials were distributed as hard copies. Students find these services very useful - for example, the online forums allow students to engage in discussions and learn actively.
- There is well over ten thousand pages of material on the Online Learning Platform. Printing and sending this out to all of our students would be very expensive and would mean we would have to raise the prices of the packages substantially - something we don't want to do. Electronic rather than paper delivery is also planet-friendly and saves millions of trees.
- There are numerous other benefits of an online system as opposed to hard copy material. For example, after completing a test, you can view the proportion of students who chose different options for each question, and the proportion of students who chose the option that you did (presented in a bar graph). Having data on the % of students choosing each option is very useful: for example you not only need to know the right ways of reasoning but possible wrong ways of reasoning; if a high proportion of students choose an option which is incorrect, you need to think about what errors in reasoning they would have made to arrive at that option. You will also gain a better indication of your strengths and weaknesses in various types of questions and understand the types of questions other students find difficult. You will also be able to see the time taken by other students to complete each question compared to you, which will help you refine your timing strategy. Such interactive, real-time information is impossible with hard copy material.
- MedEntry’s Learning Management System allows you to access your products immediately (as soon as payment is received). There is no need to wait for your materials to arrive by post.
- MedEntry’s system allows you to access your products anytime, anywhere and any place in the world with an internet connection. You can access the resources via a desktop PC, a laptop, a smartphone or a tablet. Further, your UCAT prep materials cannot be misplaced or lost as hard copy materials can.
- The dynamic nature of the online system means that we are able to provide updates expeditiously and throughout the year. Changes to the preparation material are made to reflect the latest changes in UCAT. This would not be possible if the materials were paper-based. It's no wonder that MedEntry was voted as the program which best simulates UCAT.
- MedEntry's online learning uses the most advanced 21st century technology. Most reputable universities are now moving to this medium since there are several advantages. A meta-analysis published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (10 September 2008) found internet-based learning was associated with large positive effect. "Internet based education permits learners to participate at a time and a place convenient to them, facilitates instructional methods that might be difficult in other formats, and has the potential to tailor instructions to individual learners' needs," the authors said. Virtually all medical school courses at all universities are now ‘Online’, so there is no need to attend the classes every week and only a small minority do!
You will not be able to print the materials and practice exams on the Online Learning Platform for two main reasons.
Firstly, providing printed materials would mean that certain invaluable features of the Online Learning Platform would not be available. As UCAT is a computer-based test, it is essential that you practice answering questions on this platform. Answering questions on paper is not an effective or efficient way to prepare for UCAT. Furthermore, key features such as percentile rankings, detailed feedback, timing information etc. would not be available if materials were printable.
Secondly, MedEntry has been compelled to make materials unprintable due to several breaches of copyright law. The breaches of MedEntry's copyright resulted in MedEntry suing the offenders in the Federal Court (and winning).
You can attempt each practice exam only once, to ensure feedback provided is reliable and accurate. However, you can re-attempt questions you answered incorrectly up to four times. Also, you can review all questions, answers and worked solutions as many times as you wish.
You can attempt practice questions and other resources as many times as you like.
You can enrol in MedEntry at any time, and in any year of schooling or university. Your enrolment is valid from the date that payment is made until the end of the date of UCAT (please see: How long do I have access to the Online Learning Platform for? for more information).
Note that the earlier you enrol, the earlier you gain access to all your materials and the longer you will be able to prepare. Earlier enrolment also gives you greater choice of workshop dates.
However, if you are focussed and willing to work hard, you can improve your performance in the UCAT even if you enrol in MedEntry's UCAT preparation package very close to the UCAT test period.
The UCAT Consortium do however limit when you can register to sit the live UCAT. Students must be in their final year of schooling or older to be able to sit the exam.
If you are a student who is not in your final year of school, and you would like access for multiple years, please visit our customised UCAT Headstart Packages page to get access to discounted extended access all the way up until your UCAT test.
If you purchase a standard UCAT package (i.e not through the link above), you will have unlimited access to the Online Learning Platform until the end of of the next UCAT testing window (mid August each year). At this time, access to the UCAT resources will be suspended. You will continue to have access to the Interview and University Admissions resources until after the admissions process (in January of the year following the UCAT test).
- Students' time during their final year of schooling or first year uni is at a premium. Students have to juggle many activities: study for school/university exams; work experience; co-curricular activities etc. Online weekly classes are efficient and effective.
- You don't have to waste time travelling to the venue every week. For example, students have commented: "MedEntry uses time more effectively and recognises that students don't have the time to attend 2 hour sessions over many days".
- Not only will you save time on travel, but there is no stress of driving/catching public transport.
- Students who are reluctant to ask questions, make comments or contribute to discussions in face to face classes are much more comfortable doing so online - research shows learning effectiveness is enhanced significantly.
- If you have any questions or concerns regarding any aspect of the online learning platform (questions, guides or other resources), you can email MedEntry and our online tutors will respond promptly.
- The number of students in MedEntry online weekly classes is kept low (can be as few as ten students) so that we can ensure personal attention and tuition and maximise interaction.
- MedEntry UCAT courses bring together students from geographically diverse parts of Australia (and often from other countries), into a confined room for several hours over a few days. There is a lack of venues with appropriate air filtration systems and adequate ventilation required to minimise the spread of respiratory illnesses such as Covid-19.
- A lesson from the covid-19 pandemic is that close contact with others is likely to lead to various infections such as influenza. In your critical year at school/uni, you can't afford to get sick. With online sessions you can learn as effectively in a risk free environment at, home.
- Any missed classes can be made available to review on MedEntry's Online Platform.
- The Weekly Classes are ideal for students who would benefit from motivation and encouragement in what can be a difficult and complicated process. These classes can be attended from the convenience and comfort of your own home.
- In fact the Tutors and lecturers are vastly superior in online classes because we can get the best from anywhere in the world rather than being restrained to recruiting them from a particular city as in the case with 'bricks and mortar' classes.
Attending the MedEntry UCAT Workshop and the MedEntry weekly classes for UCAT is a unique opportunity for many reasons. Never before would you have attended a class where your peers are from all over Australia, New Zealand and the UK. This is also the only opportunity for you to check out your competition: motivated and able students from all over Australia & NZ. Remember that your scores on the live UCAT will be compared with this cohort.
There is no difference between live-online and the traditional (in-centre) programs. Quality of teaching and learning, the educators, content, real-time support and high quality delivery of the course programs are exactly the same. The only difference is where the student is seated.
Virtually all medical school lectures at all universities are now ‘Online’. There is no need for physical presence every week and only a small minority do attend!
The MedEntry Team has extensive interview expertise and knowledge of the types of questions likely to arise at each university, which we use to provide you with focussed training.
Students attending a MedEntry UCAT workshop will have an afternoon of interview preparation to get them started. Remember, interviews cannot be 'crammed' for; you need to start thinking about them and developing skills early.
MedEntry also offers an Interview training bundle. This includes:
1. A day-long Strategy Day facilitated by an expert that covers interview technique and strategies that can be used to answer specific questions.
2. A half day Mock Interview session that is tailored to the specific university and course, since each university has a unique interview style and set of questions. The mock session provides an invaluable dress rehearsal, and you will also receive feedback on your performance, as well as exclusive additional resources.
3. Online resources include: an extensive interview guide which is packed with information on interview technique, common themes in health science interviews and how to tackle specific questions that will be asked; an interview question bank to train your skills and uni specific questions that might be asked in particular universities.
- Good services are seldom cheap, and cheap services are seldom good
- Many people think the packages are a bargain for what you receive – access to numerous and valuable resources which not only help with UCAT, but develop important life skills.
- High level of expenses (e.g. website/online platform hosting, IT & legal costs, researchers, consultants, intellectual property, staff salaries, costs for scholarships/prizes, accreditation and other regulatory expenses, fixed and variable costs)
- Writing high-quality questions that accurately simulate UCAT is a difficult and expensive process. In fact, studies performed by aptitude testing centres have shown that writing just one item (question) costs an average of $3000!
- Other benefits of UCAT preparation include enhanced study and higher-order thinking skills, improved ATAR/GPA scores, and the development of generic skills (critical thinking, problem-solving, logical and abstract reasoning, interpersonal skills etc.) which are invaluable for high school, tertiary study and throughout your life.
Please note that MedEntry is involved in a number of initiatives to help access to our courses for disadvantaged students including several discounts. See more about how we give back.
The best way to access the Online Learning Platform from your phone is to use the new MedEntry Smartphone App, compatible with all iOS and android devices.
Through the app you will be able to access all the drills, guides and forums found on the Online Platform.
In order for your Online Platform progress to sync between the app and the desktop Online Platform, please launch the Online Platform through your browser first and accept our terms and conditions.
There are three main differences. With the Diamond package, you get everything that you get with the Platinum package plus three additional services:
- Interview Strategy Day plus half day mock interview with feedback.
- One-on-One Tutoring: Ten one-hour sessions (which most people find adequate), additional sessions can be purchased if required.
- Application Review Service: for universities which require an application to be submitted directly to them (e.g. UNSW, JCU).
The section "Our recommended Program" provides advice on what may be a suitable package for you.
The main difference between the Online and Platinum package is that the Platinum package contains enrolment in the online UCAT workshop.
This is the most popular of all MedEntry's services.
Unlike other UCAT companies, MedEntry offers personalisation in Teaching and Learning. That is, our Preparation is highly personalised.
Other companies do not personalise or if they do, they do so only in teaching or learning, but not both.
MedEntry's UCAT training is "Preparation made personal":
- In learning by personalising the online learning platform, which uses artificial intelligence to target your weaknesses.
- In teaching via small classes in our workshops, weekly classes, and tutoring (offered face to face and virtually).
We offer two main types of personalised tutoring:
- Face-to-face UCAT tutoring: This is available exclusively as part of the Diamond package, and is available in all major cities and towns across Australia and New Zealand. If you are not enrolled in the Diamond Package and wish to access face to face UCAT tutoring, you can do so by upgrading to the Diamond Package.
- Virtual UCAT tutoring: This service can be added on to a Platinum or Online package, and is available across Australia, New Zealand and the world
You will receive a total of ten one hour sessions of one-on-one tutoring. Further UCAT tuition sessions can be arranged at additional cost. UCAT tutors will also be available for support via phone and email between sessions. The location and exact timing of the UCAT tutoring is negotiable between you and your UCAT tutor.
All our UCAT tutors have performed exceptionally well in UCAT, interviews and school and have been trained by MedEntry.
The Diamond Plus includes everything in the Diamond package plus the following three additions:
- An additional 5 hours of one-on-one tutoring (15 hours in total)
- UCAT Weekly classes
- Personalised Admissions Consultancy with Dr Ed
A preliminary timetable of the workshop can be found on our UCAT Workshop page
Please note that content and timings are subject to change.
Interview tutoring includes 5 hours of one-to-one online / virtual tutoring with an interview tutor. Your tutor will help you perfect your interview technique and provide personalised feedback on your responses.
Unfortunately you will need a Medical Interview Bundle in order to purchase interview tutoring.